Thursday, February 6, 2014

Review: Sempre by J.M. Darhower

Sempre (Forever, #1)Sempre by J.M. Darhower 
Release Date: November 25, 2013
Format: eARC, 258 pages
Publisher: Pocket Star
Series: Forever Series #1
Source: Edelweiss

Description from Goodreads:
This is a story about sacrifice... death... love... freedom. This is a story about forever.

Haven Antonelli and Carmine DeMarco had vastly different childhoods. Haven, a second-generation slave, grew up isolated in the middle of the desert, her days full of hard work and terrifying abuse. Carmine, born into a wealthy Mafia family, lived a life of privilege, never having to answer for anything he did. Both now seventeen, a twist of fate causes their worlds to collide, making them question everything they ever believed.

Entangled in a web of secrets and lies, they learn that while different on the surface, they have more in common than anyone would think. In a world full of chaos, where money and power rule, Haven and Carmine yearn to break free, but a string of events that started before either were born threatens to destroy them instead. Murder and betrayal are a way of life, and nothing comes without a price — especially not freedom.

How much will they have to sacrifice? Can they escape their pasts? And, most of all, what does it mean to be free? Not everything is as it seems, and no one can possibly come out unscathed, but maybe, just maybe, it’ll be worth it in the end.
 


Sempre is one of those books I was extremely skeptical of when I started it, but I wanted to give it a try anyway because it looked like it could be cool. That skepticism, however, faded mighty quickly when this book stole all of my reading attention and more than a couple hours of sleep. I swear, this book was so addicting!

First of all, these characters are magnificent. I feel like I know every single one of them and want to be friends will them all. I felt for Haven, Carmine, and Vincent, and want to be best buds with Dominic. Haven was innocent but strong, and I enjoyed watching her change from completely closed off against everything--against hope--to making jokes and being comfortable around people she used to fear. And Carmine... goodness. There was so much to him, and it was great to learn more and more about him throughout the story, and to see him open up just like Haven did. 

The romance in this book made my heart explode. Well. Not really. But I'm pretty sure it wanted to. Because there was so much sweetness, and I felt SO. DARN. HAPPY. For Carmine and Haven. I loved seeing them grow individually along with their relationship. So. Freaking. Cute. GOODNESS.

So much went on in this book. I couldn't even tell you how many times I was surprised, or happy, or downright flabbergasted. The whole thing was awesome, and I really love this book. The story was told in 3rd person POV, moving between Haven, Carmine, and Vincent. The only parts that felt like they dragged a little in comparison to the others were when we were in Vincent's head, but as the book went on, his parts became more and more interesting as we learned more and I started trying to figure it all out.

Oh, and I heart me some Carmine, but Corrado was my favorite character in this book. I am quite fond of that fellow.

Overall, Sempre was utterly addicting. I adored the characters, enjoyed the story, and ended up highlighting the crap out of all the sweet, funny, and outright awesome parts this book is filled with. I plan on jumping into the sequel, Sempre: Redemption as soon as I possibly can swing it. Because, seriously--CORRADO. (And Carmine. And Haven. And ALL OF THE THINGS.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!