Thursday, September 27, 2012

Review: Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout

Onyx (Lux, #2)

Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout
Release Date: August 14, 2012
Format: Papberback, 366 pages
Publisher: Emtangled Teen
Series: Lux #2
Source: BOUGHT! (like I'd do anything else with this book)

Description from Goodreads:
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…


It is no secret that I am quite literally obsessed with this series. OBSESSED may even be too feeble a word, but I can't think of anything better right now. If we remember my review of Obsidian, we will recall that I pretty much just gushed my way through telling y'all to read the book. I will try not to do that this time, but let me tell you...ONYX WAS EVEN BETTER THAN OBSIDIAN!

It's true. Onyx starts off right where Obsidian left us hanging--with some of Daemon's usual hotness. That boy never fails to make me laugh. Anyway, we jump into the plot right away, and then the story gets started. And when I say "gets started," I mean GETS STARTED. We have Daemon still trying to convince Katy to stop being a stubborn, stubborn girl and believe that he cares about stuff. Well, by "stuff" I mean Katy, but we got that, right? But this book is not soley devoted to Daemon and Katy angst. No, no, no, my friends. This book also has some seriously interesting alien revelations. And a new guy character, who I'll get into in my character rundown.

Which is happening NOW. Character rundown: Katy--same old kick-butt girl. My favorite female character...ever. Which is as big of a compliment I can give any female book character, because I'm hard on the females in books. They just have a tendency to be so dim-witted. But not Katy. She makes bad decisions, but she does them with good intentions at heart, and that's what counts for me. Now we're going to go to the new guy, Blake. I'm saving you-know-who for his own paragraph after I finish introducing Blake. Blake is the new kid. Blake is incrediby hot, in a California-boy way. Blake is completely charming. Blake has SECRETS. And that's all I'll say about him. Read the book to find out more...

DAEMON. OH, DAEMON. How can one not love this guy? I don't even know. He's just so awesome, I can't even tell you how much. He's still his own badass-self in this book, which I was glad about. He did not turn into a doormat or anything while trying to convince Katy that he truly does like her. Because that would honestly be a tragedy. He's so charismatic the way he is, I hope that never ever changes. EVER. And he's still as stunning as before. Heck, maybe even more so, now that he's not being a TOTAL jerk all the time. But I'll move on now, because otherwise I'd linger on this boy forever, happily...

SWEETNESS. This book is stuffed with it. There's so much more Daemon in this one, it's perfect. And NO. No just no. There is NOT a love triangle. How could there possibly be a love triangle when there is Daemon Black involved? That just doesn't happen. No, Blake is not the third point of a triangle of love. He does make Daemon jealous and spend some time with Katy, though. There are good reasons for this. Reasons that will be revealed in the book, and not by me because I refuse to spoil this awesomeness.Anyway, back to the sweetness--it's there. It will always be there. Never forget that. Oh, and I also loved watching Daemon and Katy's relationship grow. No insta-love here, no, sir! And they're both so stubborn and just plain perfect for each other and...I could go on about this forever, too so, we'll move on...again...

The plot of this book was not really predictable. Which is so amazing. I'm usually a very good guesser, which is kind of a let-down most of the time. I got surprised a bunch of times, though. And this book is so emotional. Not in an excessive way, but in a honest-to-goodness...EMOTIONAL way. This book is just...words cannot describe.

The ending. BIG ending. Seriously, HUGE. I am in desperate need of Opal, like, right this second. And I read Onyx way back in August, over a month ago. Which means my yearning for Opal has not ceased in that time. That's a big deal. The Lux series always has me on my toes, and this book just added to it. The ending of this book had an important cliffhanger, and, honestly, if it were to be written by anyone but Jennifer L Armentrout, I'd be ranting about it. But I have so much respect for this woman...and this book was so good it truly made up for it...I can do nothing but rave.

Overall, if you haven't gotten off your booty to get and read this book, DO IT NOW. Seriously, stop reading this and go. Just go. I will forgive you for ditching the rest of this post if you just READ this...this...yeah, I'm speechless. This piece of wonderful story-telling. Okay, that sounds good. Bye. Now, if you haven't even read Obsidian yet, I think you are certifiably crazy. But that's okay. Just go read these two books, and we'll pretend like nothing happened. Now, where was I? Overall, this book is my favorite book ever. Ever, ever. It has my favorite story line, and my favorite characters, my favorite author, my favorite covers, everything. The whole she-bang. In all seriousness, I urge you to not miss out on this compelling series. This is one of those things people just cannot miss!

♥Jessica(:

2 comments:

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!