Saturday, June 16, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: (Re-released) May 8, 2012
Format: Paperback, 335 pages
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Series: Lux #1
Source: BOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Description from Goodreads:
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

OH. MY. FLIPPING. GOODNESS.
This book . . . there are no words. There are seriously no words, but I'm going to try. Okay.

This book is 100% my favorite book EVER. The best book I've ever read in every single aspect of everything ever. The characters are amazing, the storyline is riveting, and the writing is just fabulous. I have absolutely no problems with anything in this book. None. Nada.

This book begins perfectly--with us meeting the OHMYGOODNESSGRACIOUS Daemon Black. From there, the story spans out into a big, understandable story about aliens. Yes, aliens. This may not sound so great right now, but trust me--Jen does this in the best possible way. It's sci fi, but not overbearing sci fi.

I absolutely, positively enjoyed Jen's writing style. Her writing just stands out. It's perfect for the characters and the story. It holds our attention and makes us laugh and is just AH. There is not one word in this whole book that Jen wrote that I want to change in any way.

Character Rundown: Katy. I LOVE KATY. Those words don't even express this enough. She goes from being a meek little book blogger to being the most awesome female lead I have ever had the pleasure of reading about. (And still a book blogger, hehe.) I love the fact that she's a book blogger. It adds some normalcy to her life. Next we have . . .

DAEMON. FLIPPING. BLACK. OH, DAEMON. Yeah, he deserves his own paragraph. Daemon is just . . . there are no words good enough. He can be a huge jerk. I know this. I admit it, but--dear goodness--he has his moments. And it's a mix of those moments with his neverending confidence and just that Daemon-ness that makes Daemon my favorite book character EVER. I usually love to use the word "swoon" when talking about male characters in books whom I love. That word doesn't really cover Daemon, though. He's totally swoon-worthy, but "swoon" may be too civilized of a word for this. Let's suffice it to say that there was a nice puddle of drool collecting as I read this book. Yeah, there's lots of Daemon. He's the amazing guy who just . . . you'll see. I could go on about this forever.
One more thing about Dameon, though--that guy on the cover? PERFECT person to portray Daemon.

The ending. IT KILLED ME. But this book was so marvelous that I can't even complain about this. All I can really do is wait impatiently for Onyx--the sequel--to come out on August 14. I legit CANNOT wait for this. Seriously. Just thinking about it gives me the tinglies.

Overall, this book is my favorite book ever. And Jen is now my favorite author ever. And I suggest everyone reads Obsidian because I loved it so SO so much. Therefore, I have much hope that everyone else will love it as well.

I just want to say real quick that this review is the hardest I've ever written. Because I love this book so much, it's hard to think of productive things to say other than OHMYGOSH, READ THIS BOOK. Still, I had fun gushing about how much I honestly love this book.

Thank you to Billy & Angie for getting it for me! I'm so glad I own this book. If I were to have borrowed it or something, I never would have been able to give it back.

All right, that's it, y'all. Thanks for reading my review!

Have a wonderful day, Friends!
♥Jessica(:

10 comments:

  1. the best book i've ever read ..
    love daemon black so much !! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of reading this. PURE EPICNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every single review that I've seen of this is positive. Ugh! I'm afraid of getting wrapped up in another series....... but I did just get it off of Amazon for .99!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this really dying to read because my friend recomended this :) thanks for review

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. You really love this. I haven't read these yet, but I'm entering your giveaway for them, so I thought I'd check out the review for the first one. The covers are amazing and it's good to hear that the books are too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review made me want to read this book. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book was the best of the best. I actually had it on my to read list but the reason why I put it off for a long time was because it's about aliens. How many alien books do you know that are out there? But I'm so so SO glad that I gave it a chance :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same way about this book! So good! Good review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!