Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking

Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1)

Switched by Amanda Hocking
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Format: Paperback, 318 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Series: Trylle Trilogy #1
Source: Library

Description from Goodreads:
When Wendy Everly was six years old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. Eleven years later, Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. She’s not the person she’s always believed herself to be, and her whole life begins to unravel—all because of Finn Holmes.

Finn is a mysterious guy who always seems to be watching her. Every encounter leaves her deeply shaken…though it has more to do with her fierce attraction to him than she’d ever admit. But it isn’t long before he reveals the truth: Wendy is a changeling who was switched at birth—and he’s come to take her home.

Now Wendy’s about to journey to a magical world she never knew existed, one that’s both beautiful and frightening. And where she must leave her old life behind to discover who she’s meant to become…

For the most part, I have heard nothing but raving about Amanda Hocking, especially her Trylle trilogy. And we all know that when I hear good things about books, I have to poke my head in and see what all the talk is about. And I mst say, I completely understand now.

Switched was a really good book. It was by no means perfect, but it was definitely entertaining. I loved the premise and most of the characters were wonderful and I completely enjoyed reading this book. I will admit, I was skeptical in the beginning, but after a little bit, I really got into the story.

Character Rundown:
Wendy: I have a love/dislike relationship with Wendy. I don't like the fact that she acts like a little brat sometimes. That really irritates me. But I do like how friendly she is when she's given the chance. Especially with Rhys. Because Rhys is the sweetheart of this book, and I adore that boy.

Finn: Ah, Finn. Finn was...not as awesome as I'd hoped. I mean, he was an alright character, and I liked his scenes with Wendy for the most part, but he wasn't that interesting most of the time. We do learn a little about him, so he's not a horrible character or anything. He's just not as great as I'd hoped he would be.

Rhys: As I said, this boy is a sweetheart. THIS is the boy I like in this book. He's caring and funny, and cute, and pure awesome.

Other characters: Elora...meh. And Matt, I loved Matt. Great big brother, right there. Tove--I liked Tove. He's totally a guy I'd be buds with. And that is all.

Lurve. Yeah, this story has the kind of love that I have to say as "lurve." I do not see how the feelings grew at all. Wendy literally just decided "oh, well, Finn's not that bad...and he's attractive..." and then BOOM. She loved him. And Finn already cared before that. Insta-love. And not the fun kind. Wendy and Finn had some sweet moments, but their relationship was not one of my favorites.

The plot. Other than that small insta-love issue, the rest of the story was great. I was amused, and the time spent reading this book just flew by, once I got into it. The beginning was interesting, but I was waiting to see when something would actually HAPPEN and be important. And then something greatly entertaining happened, and the story picked up and I was in.

The ending. Hello, cliffhanger. The next book is needed. Like, now. Because something happened. I liked the ending, though. I'm insanely surious to see what comes next.

Overall, this book is by no means perfect, but it is definitely very good. You should give it a go, for sure.

♥Jessica(:

1 comment:

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!