Monday, June 3, 2013

Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Release Date: February 1, 1999
Format: Paperback, 213 pages
Publisher: MTV Books and Pocket Books
Source: Borrowed

Description from Goodreads:
Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.


Goodness, I read this book back in February. I am JUST NOW sitting down to write this review. And that's not because I was being lazy. (Well, partly. But I only just recently started feeling up to actually reviewing this one, so it's not like I've been lazy for MONTHS. More like a week or three.)

Anyway. PERKS. I'm telling you right now, I'm going to be calling this book PERKS throughout this whole thing. Partly because the title is so freaking long (though it is also so freaking perfect) and partly because I like calling it PERKS and do so whenever I discuss it with anyone in real life. Okay? All right.

I was kind of peer pressured into reading this book. I mean, it's obviously not a bad thing, but I only actually read this book because my friend(s) wanted me to and the book didn't look that long so I thought I'd give it a go. I never in a million years expected to really like the book, let alone love it enough to call it one of my all-time favorites.

I'd had a very vague idea of what the book was even about, and all I got was based solely on the movie trailers. And of course, there were those two quotes that stuck out, but I'll talk about those in a minute. I wanna make my point first--this book was fantastic.

Wow. I eased right into that, didn't I? But seriously. I read this in a day--the Sunday before President's Day, to be exact. I started it and I'm not going to lie, I was bored at first. But I was also intrigued, because the whole book is written in letters from Charlie to someone only referred to as "Friend". It's always "Dear Friend". And then I kept reading and...well, the book just flew right on by. I got sucked in and the next thing I knew, I was starting Part 4 and completely distraught/in love/I don't even freaking know. So much awesome, so little book.

Now, to those quotes I mentioned. First, the one I like second best:



Gosh, I love this quote. It's a popular one from the book (though there are very many popular quotes from this book, so...yeah), and goodness, it's so fantastic. It is also true. I never thought about it before reading PERKS, but this is so incredibly true, I can't even say. And I love how that was in this story and what it meant to the story and how it played a part. Again and again.

Now my very favoritest quote from this book (though I'm sure you can guess it--it's incredibly popular):



I loved this quote since the moment I read it in the book, but it has also been very close to my heart ever since I saw the movie. this quote is PERFECT in the movie, by the way. But anyway, I'm pretty sure I understand Charlie here. I mean, I'm not saying I've had many moments where I felt infinite, but I do feel like I've had one. And...I just get it.

This book. It's not the kind of book that you read real quick and move on from fast. Sure, you read it quick--it's darn hard not to, it's so small and captivating. Instead of that, this book is one of those that you read and then think about. You think about it for days, weeks, months. Maybe even longer than that. I wouldn't know, though, because I've only reached the "months" part of that statement. But I have a feeling this book is going to stick with me for the long haul.

Do I think you should read this book?

Um.

Wow.

Um.

HECK TO THE MOTHER FLIPPING YES.

Why? Because this is one of those books that everyone should experience. I know there are many people out there who don't/won't like it. But I feel that reading this book is something that, even if you hate it with the combined passion of a thousand suns, means something to everyone, in its own way. And for someone to find their own meaning in this book, they need to read it.

Duh.

So read it.

Or don't, I can't tell you what to do.

But seriously, you SHOULD.

♥Jessica(:

3 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time favs too! I had such a great experience with it :) Glad you love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has been on my want-to-read list for awhile. My book group is reading for August so now I finally have a reason to bump it ahead of other "for review" books.

    Great review! I can't wait to see how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like this one. My point of view in life basically changed when I've read this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!