Saturday, August 3, 2013

Review: Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto

Heaven (Halo, #3)

Heaven by Alexandra Adornetto
Release Date: August 21, 2012
Format: Hardcover, 417 pages
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Series: Halo #3
Source: Library

Description from Goodreads:
Only sixteen when she started the series, Ally Adornetto knows how teen hearts beat, and this long-awaited conclusion is certain to be her most popular book yet.

Bethany, an angel sent to Earth, and her mortal boyfriend, Xavier, have been to Hell and back. But now their love will be put to its highest test yet, as they defy Heavenly law and marry. They don’t tell Beth’s archangel siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, but the angels know soon enough, and punishment comes in a terrifying form: the Sevens, who are rogue angels bent on keeping Beth and Xavier apart, destroying Gabriel and Ivy, and darkening angelic power in the heavens.

The only way Bethany and can elude the Sevens is to hide in the open, and blend in with other mortals their own age. Gabriel and Ivy set them up at college, where they can’t reveal their relationship, and where there is still danger around each corner. Will Bethany be called back to Heaven – forever – and face leaving the love of her life?


First of all, I wasn't really expecting ANYTHING when I read this book. I'd read the first two, and at the time I checked this out from the library I thought the first one hadn't been too bad, so even though the second one was not good at all, I wanted to give the third a try. Since then, I've thought more about this trilogy and the story and have changed my mind about the first one. I do not like it. At all.

But Heaven. This one...it was not good. Or at least, I don't think it was. I was just SO bored the whole time I was reading this. I didn't much care about what was happening. At first, I tried to, but then the story went on and I just DIDN'T and I shouldn't have to force myself to care about the characters and what's happening when I'm reading a book. I should be able to do it without even THINKING about it. It just happens because the writing is that great and the story is that compelling.

But not this one.

And the characters. Oh, no no no no. No. Just no. No just no. I don't like Beth. She's not strong at all, and she wasn't very smart, and she wasn't very amusing. I don't like Xavier, either. He seemed really cardboard to me, and I didn't really find him swoon-worthy. At all. Which is something that is SUPER important to me. I love my book boys. But sadly, Xavier didn't make the cut.

GABRIEL. Oh sweet goodness. He was my absolute favorite character in this trilogy. I LOVED that he was so stern all the time, and that he was set in his ways. That was what made him HIM. But then in this book...that was RUINED. And it made me angry. I positively hate what went on with Gabriel's character in this one. No doubt about it.

So, the book was boring, the characters held nothing for me, and my favorite part of everything that IS the world Alexandra Adornetto created was ruined. That is why I do not like this book and have rated it only one star (on Goodreads).

I do not recommend this book. Or this trilogy, in general. I'm not swearing off the author, though. Maybe if she writes something in the future that piques my interest enough I'll give it a go. But it has to look REALLY good. We'll see.

♥Jessica(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!