Monday, March 12, 2012

The Unbecoming of Many, Many Readers

As promised, I finished The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.

What do I have to say about it?
This. Book. Was. Incredible.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is such a different book than those I usually read. Not in that it's not fiction or doesn't include a totally attractive male lead- it is/has both of those things. No, it's different because the story is different. It's not vampires or werewolves, but it's not something normal. And that is so interesting. Throughout the whole entire book I was guessing what was happening, I was getting confused and then I would make an assumption and then whatever that assumption was would be blown to bits. There is no possible way anyone could accurately guess everything that happens in this book. There are so many unexpected twists and turns that I was scrambling to keep up, and I LOVED THAT. Yes, it was frustrating here and there when I kept getting no answers and millions more questions. But then I would read something that just made me smile and I got over it.

I realize that my reviews are a bunch of praise, but I am beeing 100% honest when I say that the books and authors I've reviewed DESERVE it. Their books have been masterpieces that tore at my heart in the most satisfying way. This book is no different. Two thumbs up to Michelle Hodkin for writing this wonderful, wonderful story. It is so DIFFERENT and UNPREDICTABLE. I may have said this before, but there are so many books that we can easily predict how they're going to end. Don't get me wrong, those books can have their own charms that draw readers in as well, but this book has it all. You will never ever guess the ending (I practically slapped somebody) and you will fall in love within the pages. So many twists, turns, and secrets that just pop out of nowhere and draw a reader in, wanting to find out what is happening to this girl by the name of Mara Dyer and her gorgeous male suitor Noah Shaw. It's truly riveting.

Okay, character rundown time. I'm just going to say a few things about the two main characters because they are really what the story is based around. Mara Dyer (obviously she's a main character)- ah, Mara. A troubled girl who has just been through a traumatic event that she just can't seem to shake. PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) up the yin-yang and a huge fear that she's insane. But she has a smart mouth and can be funny, too. She's not whiny, either which is an awesome thing because no one like s a whiny lead. That would just be irritating. And Noah Shaw- OH, NOAH. Completely hot - yup, he is making me use this word; I usually like to use the word attractive or something, but Noah is undeniably HOT- completely unsattainable, and completely into our lead girl. Or so it seems. Or, wait, he really IS. Or not. Yup. He is. That's pretty much how it goes with Noah, you think he likes Mara, then you don't. Then you do, then you don't. The fact that Noah's been the player for his whole time in America (he's English! accent, anyone?) does not help this fact. I am not going to give away what exactly happens with him and Mara, but trust me, you'll love it. For me to be pleased, there has to be a surely sufficient amount of romance. I can't help it, I'm a junkie. Noah certainly does NOT disappoint. He's actually amazingly caring once we get down to the knitty grit of our boy, and you will fall in love, too. *sigh* Oh, Noah. Such a wonderful boy. LOVE.

All right. I rate this book on a scale from 1 to 10. . . (I'm thinking). . . a 9. I really REALLY want to give this book a 10, but I can't because of the ending. It was infuriating and gave NO closure whatsoever. It just ended. Just. Like. That. I understand there's going to be a sequel - anyone hear anything about it, by the way? I need to know! - but the ending of this book made me want to almost cry with how it just dropped off in the middle of something important. It hooked me, though. No doubt in my mind that I'll read the sequel, that's for sure. If I don't, I may spontaniously combust or something. That wouldn't be good.

All in all, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was an amazing book that I am so so so so so SO glad I read (I've been holding out on this one for a while, for some stupid reason I can't even remember now). I suggest anyone who reads this to read it. I usually do, because I read great books. It's a gift I have. I'm good at picking out great books off those library shelves. Let's add this one to the list!

Thanks to everyone reading this for checking out my blog, and as always I invite you to check out my other posts, I have a few other reviews you should check out- terrific books- and follow me/check me out on Twitter if you haven't already! @makesmeworse12

Okay, until next time, Friends!

♥Jessica(:

2 comments:

  1. Noah was the best. I feel like I always like books much better when the guys gorgeous and a smartass badboyish type, at least, how they come off anyway. The second book broke my heart in two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I'm obsessed with this book! A couple days ago I finished and OM...G is amazing ! and right now Im reading the second book! Im so excited!

    Thank for you great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!