Friday, June 22, 2012

Lauren Kate Signing Recap♥

Fallen (Fallen, #1)Yesterday, my dear friends, I got to meet the wonderful author of the Fallen series, Lauren Kate. I know, I know, I'm SUPPOSED to be reading my booty off in a read-a-thon, but she was at my personal favorite indie bookstore (because it's where I always go to book signings--they've had some amazing authors there). So since I'd been excited about this for a while, I went. This read-a-thon is my first, so it's mostly a test run for me. You know, to see how it goes and how I like doing read-a-thons and such. As a little update, I can tell you that I'm almost done with All These Things I've Done and plan to finish it tonight. Not the point I'm here to make, though, so let's talk books signings, yes?

Torment (Fallen, #2)So, for the first time in my very short book-signing-attendee experience, I was EARLY. Yeah, shocking, I know. I'm usually fashionably late (not on purpose, that's just how it often works out). So I got a seat where my tiny self could actually see Lauren's pretty face! Consequently, this also resulted in having to sit and wait for a while. I'm okay with that, though. My mom, who was sitting next to me, was not. She wasn't too fond of the idea of waiting. She did it, though, and we went on with our lives and the signing and had a great time and whatnot. There were a lot of people talking about the Hush, Hush series, too, while we were waiting. I found this somewhat surprising, though I probably shouldn't have. Both series ARE about angels. They're just really different in a lot of ways, too. They aren't that alike in my eyes. I adore both series, though, so I was happy to join some conversations about it.

Then, Lauren got there and before we knew it, she was speaking. She read the prologue of Rapture, and I
Passion (Fallen, #3)have to say--it was a wonderful way to start. Plus, I REALLY want to read Rapture right this moment. But alas, I have a list and other things to read and conflicting emotions about moving said list around. So for now I'll let it be and go with the flow. Another thing I must say--Lauren did a really good job narrating. I'm not a big fan of audio books, but I think Lauren could be a great narrator for them.

Moving on . . . after the prologue, Lauren talked about Rapture and what it was like to be ending the series. She explained that of course this would be bitter/sweet. That's how endings go, as we all know (I'm not trying to rhyme right now, it's just happening that way). We get the answers we've been waiting for, but we're going to miss the characters we've grown to love over time.

Rapture (Fallen, #4)
After she said what she wanted, Lauren asked us if we had any questions. Lauren was asked questions about many, many things. I'm not going to tell y'all everything because a) I am a very lazy person, b) I don't want to mess up any of her answers, because who could possibly remember EVERYTHING she said word for word? No one, that's who. and c) My computer almost makes me want to kick puppies or babies or something (ALMOST!) and I'd rather not spend all that time. So I'll give you a few bulletpoints of what I learned today (yes, today, but I'm posting it tomorrow, so I should have said yesterday, but oh well):
-Lauren loves all of the covers in the Fallen series (my personal favorite is the Rapture cover--it's so GORGEOUS, I just want to keep petting the cover)
-Lauren loves austin and screamed a little when she found out she got to come here to finish her book tour
-Fallen will be a movie! We didn't get much details on this, though. But there is a script written!
-As far as casting for previously mentioned movie goes, Lauren hopes that there is a brilliant casting director to find unknown actors so they can grow into her characters
-Luce was a super hard character for Lauren to get ahold of at first, until she just let Luce go and do what she does
-Lauren is proud of the arcs her characters have made in this series and likes where they all end
-Lauren has saved 67 rejection letters from writing-related things (random, yes, but randomness is SO MUCH FUN)
-Cam well . . . ah, Cam (I was going to end with seven bullets, and I don't like the number 7, so I added this, hehe)

Random fact: I'm listening to Mr. Jones by Counting Crows right now. I LOVE THIS SONG. Okay, so the point of this post--I had an amazing time meeting Lauren Kate, and she is a truly wonderful person. I don't know why this always surprises me a little bit, but it does. It also makes me unbelievably happy. I got Rapture signed and had a nice little chat with Lauren. The topic of me having a blog came up and I HAD to say how I practically blog-stalk Anna from Literary Exploration. I don't spend eactually stalk anyone, but I'm pretty close, I think, and it makes me feel like a creeper. I have good intentions, though.

Mr. Jones is about to end (for the gazillionth time, since I keep replaying it), so I'll leave y'all with that. AH! I'm go glad I got to meet Lauren Kate! Today was a great day.

Have a magnificent Friday, Friends!
♥Jessica(:

1 comment:

  1. So jealous you got to meet her! Hmm, to be honest I already knew everything in those bullet points :P Yes, I know ..a bit weird considering I haven't gone to any of her signings. I do not care what you are reading ..READ. RAPTURE. NOW. Personally, my favorite cover is Torment. :) So glad you had fun and don't worry! I would have been there mega-early if I could of ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!