Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review: A Little Friendly Advice by Siobhan Vivian


A Little Friendly Advice
A Little Friendly Advice by Siobhan Vivian
Release Date: March 1, 2008
Format: Hardcover, 256 pages
Publisher: Scholastic
Source: Library

Description from Goodreads:
A wonderful debut for any teen with friendship issues (i.e. all of them)

Ruby's turning sixteen . . . but the day doesn't turn out to be as sweet as it's supposed to be. Her long lost father shows up, and Ruby doesn't want to have anything to do with him. Instead, she wants to hang out with her friends - loyal Beth, dangerous Katherine, and gossipy Maria. They have plenty of advice for her - about boys, about her dad, about how she should look and what she should be feeling. But really, Ruby doesn't know what to think or feel. Especially when a new boy comes into the picture . . . and Ruby discovers some of her friends aren't as truthful as they say.


You may remember my review of Not That Kind of Girl, where I was somewhat disappointed because I just could not get into the book even though I really loved this author. Weeeell, this time, I am super glad to say that I adored this book! It was so incredibly cute and sweet and interesting to me.

The beginning of this book was nice. I liked that it began with a little birthday party and then BOOM, Daddy Dearest shows up. A very nice way to jump into the plot and hold my attention. I also loved how the inroductions were taken care of early in the story (all except for Charlie, but we'll get there) so that we could just move on and get to the good stuff.

I loved the STORY of this book. The Dad--Jim--coming back and Ruby going through everything she goes through and needing her friends to help her out. And then of course Charlie shows up. A nice addition to a story that would otherwise be very basic, I think. Charlie adds some complexity to Ruby's life, in the bes possible way.

Character Rundown: Ruby. Newly sixteen. The quiet type. Has a harder time dealing with that thing called "her life" than most would think, and for good reason. Beth--Ruby's bestest friend. Apparently the best friend anyone could have, but there's really a lot more to it. And Charlie. Sweet boy. Artsy. Unique, but not in a geeky way. He's not a loser, he's just new. And he takes to Ruby quick. I positively adored Charlie. He's the kind of guy I wish I knew. He's a good listener and friendly and minds his own business when he knows he should. He doesn't pry, but he's THERE. OH CHARLIE.

Sweetness. The relationship between Charlie and Ruby in this book was a little rushed, since this whole book happens in the span of a week--give or take a day--but that was really okay. Because it's not like they were instantly in love, or even said the L word at all in this book. Their relationship was more of working towards creating a steady relationship than deepening their emotions.

The relationship between Ruby and her dad Jim wasn't much of a relationship at all. And it was intereesting to watch Ruby work through that in her mind, especially since all of these emotions were just brought back up with his random reappearance in her life.

The ending. The ending was not a perfect little package for the story. Which is good because life isn't perfect, as we all know. Still, imperfections and all, the ending left me smiling and happy.

Overall, I'm glad I gave Siobhan's books another shot. She really is an amazing writer. Y'all should read this book--it's a nice read and perfect for summer!

Have a wonderful day, Friends!
♥Jessica(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!