Saturday, April 14, 2012

I am (finally) DIVERGENT

DIVERGENT. By Veronica Roth. I finished this book, like, less than a half hour ago, and I have to say that I get it now. I have been told by many, many people that this book was just pure genius. Amazing. Spectacular. A bunch of other adjectives that have positive connotations. And until now, I was hugely skeptical of these opinions. But now I get it.

The beginning was a wee bit slow, I'll admit. But it didn't last long at all once Beatrice - well, Tris - chose her faction. Once she started the initiation process with her faction, the book got immensely interesting. To be honest, I doubted the sanity of the Dauntless. I mean, seriously, they are INSANE. Sure, let's just go jump off a train because jumping off trains means we're brave. But, crazy or not, it was so much fun to read. Some of it was brutal, but it was all enthralling to read.

Okay, quick rundown of the most important characters: Tris. I'm going to tell the truth, I don't like Tris. At all. She just bothers me. I don't like how she's so selfish and then whines to herself about how selfish she is. Then when she acts unselfish, she seems like it's a big imposition. If I were to meet her in real life, I might like her better, but just reading about her I dislike her. I must point out that I DO undertand her, though. She has a big character growth throughout the book, and through that I understand her completely. But that doesn't mean I have to like her. Four - OH, FOUR. Four is "the guy." I admire Four completely. I know what you're thinking - Four? What kind of name is that? When I first met him in the book, I thought his name was really cool. Different. And rest assured, it is just a nickname. You have to read the book to find out his real name, because telling you now would give much too much away. The point is that I have found another boy team to join. Along with Team Christian, Team Christophe, Team Ren, Team Zachary, and a gazillion other teams I am currently on, I am on Team Four. He's strong, dependable, kind (well, naturally, but not always. You'll see), and purely awesome. As always, he has secrets, but who doesn't?

Romance. It's there. Of course it's there. But it does not dominate. It's something that happens in the midst of everything Tris goes through that gives Tris more vulnerability, thusforth making her more likeable (though it didn't work on me). It also makes her more understandable. Because who doesn't understand having a crush? We've all had one before. Most of us most likely have one right now. That's how life goes. Even though I'm not Tris' number one fan, I have to admit that they make a sweet little couple.

One way I've seen this book described was as a "brainy thrill-ride of a novel." Usually, whenever I see that a book is described as a "thrill-ride," I scoff. Because, I mean, REALLY? It's rare that I would describe a book that way. I read some wonderful books, yes, but that's just not how I would identify them. But with Divergent, it's really true. This brings me back to the Dauntless seeming certifiably crazy - they do so many exciting things. It just makes me smile. Reading this book was such an adventure that I enjoyed so much. Plus, it amused me to no end, which is never a bad thing.

The ending. I actually liked the ending. I don't like that I can't find out what happens next yet, but still. The ending was certainly one I would descibe as good. It came at just the right time, I think. Before the book began to drag on. And now I am SUPER excited for the next book. It's a win-win.

My rating: 5/5 stars. I loved this book. I really, really did. To the point that anyone who asks me about books I've read recently is going to get an earful about Tris and Four and Will and Christina and. . . yeah. I suggest you read it. Yes, YOU. If you're reading this review and haven't read Divergent yet, get your hands on a copy of this book and READ IT.

Thank y'all for stopping by!

♥Jessica(:

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Divergent too! I agree that reading this book was an adventure (and a very awesome adventure!) and I also liked how the romance was ther but it didn't dominate. Aww, shame you didn't like Tris - personally I liked her, but I can see where you're coming from.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to read this! Thanks for a great review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read so many things about this book. I now I am crazy for this book because I could not buy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!