Thursday, April 19, 2012

SLIDE into the mystery!

Slide by Jill Hathaway. I just finished this book a couple days ago, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. This was one of those books that was sitting on my TBR shelf for a bit after I recieved it, and usually the longer some books sit there, the less appealing they become. My excitement evens out. Not always, but some of the time. And that was what happened with this book. But then I started reading it. And I grew connected to it so fast! Like, seriously, within the first 60 pages I felt something for this book.

This is Jill's debut, and it is a great way to kick off. There is mystery, suspense (because the two of those alway go hand-in-hand), love, fear, and a bunch of other emotions all rolled up into one pretty package. When beginning this book, it seems to be just another one of those stories where you can guess everything that happens, where you can guess all the answers. But I was glad to see that in this book, you really CAN'T. Jill just throws in a whole bunch of variables that all mix with each other and twist around any theories you may make. Certain aspects were predicable (I'll get to this later) but that was okay, because everything can't just fly out of the sky, we have to be able to grasp onto something as we red to keep our sanity. So, my point here is that this book was a plesant surprise in a gergillion ways. Ways that you have to read the book to understand. ;)

Character rundown! I'm going to give you three characters today because if I leave one out, you may guess what happens to them. . . And we all knwo that I don't spoil! Vee. Actually, her name is Sylvia, but Vee is her nickname, what she is most commonly known as. I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't really love Vee, but she was tolerable. There's nothing really specific I DON'T like about her, but there's nothing specific I like about her either. So she's okay, I guess. She can slide into other people's minds when she passes out, which I think is super cool. If only I could do that. . . Next, her best friend Rollins. I DID like Rollins. OH, ROLLINS. He's the best friend, the secret-keeping guy, and the protective guy. I always love the protective ones. Last, there's Zane. OH ZANE. I liked, Zane, too. He was the new kid, who had a bunch of secrets of his own, things he wasn't very forthcoming to share. He's the guy who Vee goes out with after meeting him in the nurses office. Hot spot, apparently. Anyways, as far as Rollins and Zane go, I like them both. One more than the other, but. . . um, I'll tell y'all more about that later. . .

The ending. Apparently there's supposed to be a sequel sometime? Well, I can totally see that by looking at the ending. It was kind of bothersome, actually, how you see Rollins say "Choose," but then I never find out what I'm choosing from. Then again, I'm probably getting distracted by the wrong thing here. The choosing thing was not the point of that epilogue. Still, what was I choosing?! Hehe. But in all seriousness, the ending was all right. Not insanely cliff-hanger-ish like some other books I've read, such as The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer or Shatter Me. (For the record: these are two of my favorite books I've read so far this year - like, top ten - so I don't mean anything BAD about this, I'm just stating fact.) While it doesn't have an insane cliff-hanger, Slide does, however, leave a bunch of room for a sequel. So that was good.

MY RATING: 4/5 stars. I'm glad I read this book, and I really liked it. I recommend it to anyone looking for a nice new mystery who thinks they can guess everything. I don't they they can. ;)

**WARNING: This is the last review where I will rate the book. I've decided this because the rating is what stresses me out the post. So from now on, I'll just rate on Goodreads. If you want to see my ratings, friend me there. Thanks!**

I want to say thank you to Jill Hathaway for sending me this book! (I won it in a Twitter contest!)

Thank you for reading my review! Be sure to keep checking out my blog for. . .OTHER things. . . ;)

Until next post, Friends!

♥Jessica(:

OH. and if you're still reading this, kudos to you! I'm TEAM ROLLINS! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!