Monday, April 30, 2012

You Are or You Aren't (+HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MIKEY!)

QUICK NOTE: Today is my brother's birthday!!!!!!!!!!!! so, I just want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!!!!!!!!! He's 21 this year, in case you were wondering.
 He is also the funniest goofball I know. So I hope he has a fabulous day. Love you, Mikey!! ;)

Okay, so before I review this book - Not That Kind of Girl by Siobhan Vivian - I am going to give you some good news and some bad news. Ready?

Good news: I am now officially a fan of Siobhan Vivian. I CANNOT wait to read her newest book The List and absolutely love her as an author.

Bad news: This book wasn't all that amazing, in my opinion. And NOW I'll explain hy in my review . . .

Not That Kind of Girl is a nice book that actually makes a bunch of great points that I'm sure any femanist would adore. I loved everything that actually HAPPENED in this book. From Natalie - main character - doing all the wondergirl things she does to Natalie's relationship with Conner - sweet boy. I had no problem with the plot or storyline or anything of that nature. Which is why I would most definitely read another one of Siobhan's books; she has great ideas that make for great stories.

So why did I not like this book all that much? Well that's because, for some reason, this book did not hold my attention like most books do. I felt very disconnected from the book as I read it and it didn't really draw me in too much. While everything Natalie was saying and thinking and whatnot made perfect sense, and I understood it, it didn't amuse me as much as I expected it would. This was more of a book that I would have liked to skim through to get to the more amusing parts. Mostly the parts with Conner. Other than that, this book dragged for me.

Character rundown: Natalie. I didn't like Natalie. I respect her and her strong-willed ways, but, in general, I did not like her as a person. She was very stuck-up-ish and I cannot stand that in people, let alone book characters. Well, unless they are super attractive guys in books that make me laugh. Then it's okay, but that is beside the point. Now, as for Conner - AH CONNER. I felt like his character was somewhat sketchy. From Natalie's point of view we had a very specific image and opinion of him that drastically changed by the end of the book. Which is good, but not the best for establishing a fantastic character. I still love Conner, though. He was sweet and kind and just a regular boy. He wasn't a super extraordinary guy that we will never mee in reality, despite how much we all wish we could. And I liked that. A good change of scene for me in my reading world. (I still love all those impossible boys, I'm just saying Conner is great too.)

The ending. It was very happy-go-lucky, but I liked it. I didn't feel the urge to skim at all through the end of the book. A very good ending to a so-so book. To wrap this up, I wouldn't point girls away from reading this book because it really does make a lot of great femanine points. A good perspective on a bunch of girlie-high-school issues. BUT, I'm not going to boast that this book was amazing because I don't think it was. I LOVE the author, though. She thought up some amazing ideas for this book that just didn't work for me put together like they should have. I DO plan on reading more from her and I WILL.

All right, that's it, Friends! Thank you so much for reading my review, and be sure to come back around again tomorrow. I will be having a fun giveaway as part of a blog hop for a super great author named Brina Courtney. Plus, a guess post from her. MY FIRST GUEST POST EVER. Yeah, momentus event. Be there or be square. And by "there" I clearly mean "here." Oh, and later in the week I have a review of Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally coming up. You will want to read that since the book is rocking my world at this moment (Friday night).

Come again soon, Friends!

♥Jessica(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!