So this is the third annual End of Year Book Survey, hosted by the fabulous Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner. But this is MY first time participating. Obviously. I just started my blog this year. So yeah. Umm...okay!
Best Books in 2012
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
WHY MUST QUESTIONS BE SO DIFFICULT. But, honestly, I'm going to answer: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I loved a BUNCH of books this year, but #1 would have to be that. I made a handydandy Top 10 list, too, if you want to find that.
I WOULD break it down by genre, but I'm horrible at classifying genres and y'all would probably throw rocks at me when I messed up. Hehe.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Hmm. Probably Eve & Adam by Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate. I was expecting to loooooooove that book, and just...didn't. For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund didn't wow me like I thought it would, either.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Hmmm. Probably Wither by Lauren DeStefano. I was so cautious going into that book, because I'm such a jealous person and the idea of sharing boy toy with sister-wives was not appealing to me. But then I read it and it blew me away. Can't wait for the last book in that trilogy!
And there were more books that pleasantly surprised me, but I think Wither was most prominent in my mind. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout could be one, too. I mean, aliens? Umm, oookay... But then I read it and... you know how that ended up. LOVE.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
All books by Jennifer L. Armentrout. But mostly the Lux series--Obsidian, Onyx, and Opal. I was late to the Lux party out here in bookloverland, but I've more than made up for it. Yay to the people who told me they got the books because of me! Y'all are awesome.
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
I'm going to be my broken record self right now, aren't I? Bare with me people. The LUX series by Jennifer L. Armentrout was the BEST.
A few honorable mentions: the COVENANT series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, the SIGNIFICANCE series by Shelly Crane (which I'm reading the first book of now and loooving!), and....goodness, so many more. This was a great book year for me.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Jennifer L. Armentrout. Of course. Nancy Straight. Michelle Hodking. Miranda Kenneally. SARAH REES BRENNAN!!!!!!! Oh, I heart Sarah so much.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
She Belongs to Me by Carmen DeSousa. I'd read adult books before that one, but that one...I don't know, it was different. But it turned out great because I LOVE that book and I LOVE that author. So yay!
And Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Aliens. Not usually my thing. Again, we know how THAT turned out.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Hmmm. You probably think I'm going to say a JLA book. but I'm not. This one goes to Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. I was captivated by this book. I tried my hardest to slow down when I was reading it, so i wouldn't be over so fast, but I failed.
OH, and I read Transcendence by C.J. Omololu really fast, too. On Mother's Day, no less.
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout. Oh, and Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi. I'm always up for a re-read of that.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Yeah. I know. But it is how it is, guys. I love the cover of Significance by Shelly Crane, too.
OH, and Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout. It's gorgeous.
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Daemon Black from the LUX series by JLA. But Sam from Flawed by Kate Avelynn is sticking in my mind, too. And of course Daniel from the TOUCHED series by Nancy Straight <3
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Flawed by Kate Avelynn. That book...I can still feel it in my heart.
Wither by Lauren DeStefano's a close second, though.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Flawed by Kate Avelynn. Just thinking about it too hard can STILL make me cry.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
Hmmm. Probably Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. I didn't wait THAT long, but still. I passed it up a bunch of times for a reason I can't even remember now. I'm pretty sure it was silly, though.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
I have A LOT of favorite quotes, but the one that is screaming in my mind right now is:
"A world of nevers under a never sky." -Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Don't know exactly WHY, but that line gets me. I have a zillion and three other favorite quotes from this year, but I'm not going to look them up. Instead, I'm going to play by the rules right now.
Or not...I just logged on to Goodreads, guys...
"It's funny how when people change, you foget the way they sued to be." -Hallowed by Cynthia Hand
That was another one that got me right away.
"What you love the most is what you have to fight the hardest to keep." -Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard
All right, I'll stop there.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
So this is kind of a guess, but I checked on Goodreads, so it's out of the books I've read this year on there...
LONGEST: Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor
SHORTEST: First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky
This doesn't include novellas. Just saying.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
The ending to Flawed by Kate Avelynn. Pretty much the whole book of Opal by JLA. The ending to Deity, too.
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Daemon & Katy from the LUX series. The best.
Ohhhh, and Hadley & Oliver from The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. They're so cute.
Aria & Roar in Under the Never Sky. I love Roar.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
How To Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation by Simone Elkeles. I heart Avi so much!
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
I don't really know...Graceling by Kristin Cashore, probably. Anna from Literary Exploration loves that book.
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
All the book blogs I've found this year are new, but my favorites....goodness, I love a bunch!
Literary Exploration, The Book Goddess, Words, Pages, and Books, The NonReluctant Reader, Escaping....One Book @ a Time, Katie's Book Blog, and so. Many. More. I have buttons over on the right sidebar!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
Ohhhh, my review of Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor. I was so in the zone for that one.
And then my gif-filled review for Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout. That one makes me laugh.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Hmm. Is this referring to discussion posts? Because I've only done, like, one so far. And it was pretty much just a gushy moment for me. Other than that, there was nice talk on my top 10 of 2012 posts, and my Opal Release Party Recap.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I....I don't know...I don't think I really write thought-provoking reviews...do I? The closest thing I've ever had to that would probably be my review for Flawed by Kate Avelynn.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Oh, no doubt in my mind the Opal Release Party, and then the dinner afterward.
Ohh, and being on Team Luxing After Daemon in the Daemon Invasion, which we WON! Our names are on the dedications for Opal and everything! *squee!*
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
Um, meeting JLA and having her call me sweet. Oh, and Valerie from Stuck in Books, too!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Whoa, I don't know...I have to look this one up...
I'm not including giveaways...My Top 10 of 2012 post for Book Boyfriends. That has a lot of views...
THANKS, GUYS. <3
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
This is totally a trick question. I want all my posts to have love! But probably my reviews. I spend time on those, guys. I think about what I say and everything.
But then memes, too, because I like to see what you guys think and are featuring. And then my random posts because I love randomness.
So here we are again--ALL of my posts.
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
ARCycling! Genius idea.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
2013's going to be my year to try reading challenges, but I DID make it to my Goodreads challenge goal--115 books. I actually had to bump it up a few times. Next year, I'm going to go so big on that.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I mean, I have to GET it first, but then...
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
I made a list! But #1 was Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout.
The Collector by Victoria Scott is something I'm DYING for, too!
And I HAVEHAVEHAVE to mention Dracian Legacyby Priya Kanaparti. I've been reading deleted scenes and stuff (because I luuuurve Priya!) and it is killing me to not have this book yet. I want so muuuuuch!!!!!!!!
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Comment on other people's blogs more! I check out other blogs ALL THE TIME (trust me, guys, I do!) but I'm always too lazy or tired or something to comment. I should try to do that more, like on weekends or something. And when you leave a link for me HERE, I always check it out, even if I don't comment. I just wanted you to know that.
Other than that...I'm blanking on what else. I should probably hope to read more of what I SHOULD as opposed to what I WANT, but...nah. It all works out in the end ;)
All right. That's it. The end of my first End of Year survey! This is a big deal. *happy dance*
For the record, I didn't link to any of my own posts here. I'm so tired right now, you don't even know. And I don't feel the best at the moment. BLAH. I did link to other people's blogs, though.
I heart you guys!! <3