Saturday, May 12, 2012

A World of Nevers♥


Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Release Date: Already Released! (January 3, 2012)
Publisher: Harper Collins
Format: Hardcover (signed), 374 pages
Source: Bought!
Description from Goodreads:
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.


This. Book. Was. Amazing. Truly, words cannot describe the epicness of this beautiful book, but I'll try. But first, I'll just get the recommendation out of the way now - EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK. Everyone. I don't care who you are, just read this. It was positively amazing.

Okay, now on to specifics we go. As I said, I absolutely, positively, undoubtedly LOVED this book. It was amazing. Beautiful. Wonderful. Fabulous. Marvelous. Terrific. Splendiforous. Miraculous. Epic. Lovely. Elegant. And so many other positive adjectives that I'm not going to bore y'all with listing. Oh, wait, one more - DAZZLING. That's one I haven't used very often. Anyway, this book is one of those books that I wonder why I waited so long to read it. I can't fathom any reason good enough to postpone that greatness.

This story was literally entrancing. The beginning piqued my interest right away and then held it as the story unfolded. It actually built up in a way that I didn't expect. After the first few chapters, the story became something I was the teeniest bit reluctant to read, but that changed SUPER fast. Because then Perry and Aria meet up (again) and all the fun stuff happens. :) From then on, I was 100% reluctant to put the book down at all. Darn school for getting in the way of my reading momentum.

Okay, here's something for you - this book was so good that I read it during ALGEBRA (II) class. Why is that significant? Well, that would be because:
1. Algebra (II) is really hard. (Well, the topic we were covering at the time was, anyway.)
2. I really like math class. (Yes, I am that weird.)
3. I'm usually too lazy to dig my book out of my bag during that class. (Hehe.)
So, see? This book was really great.

Once Aria and Perry officially "meet" (I say "meet" because they don't exactly know each others' names yet, but at least they're both conscious) the book becomes positively addicting. Veronica's writing was so beautiful. She described everything so well, but not in a way that can become boring. Not once during the reading of this book did I actually get bored. Frustrated, yes. Sad, yes. All my hopes and dreams crushed, yes. But bored or uninterested? NEVER. (That's kind of a joke . . . hehe?)

This was one of the few books that I've read in a while that I've wanted to read every single word on every single page. Now, before we all explode, I'm pointing out what I said: one of few in a while that I've WANTED to read every single word on every single page. I always read everything in every book I review, but sometimes it is tedious because there will be parts that I just do not want to spend time on. I read them anyway. Under the Never Sky, on the other hand, did not disinterest me in any way at any point in the book.

To further tell about Veronica's writing, I enjoyed the fact that the point of view was alternating between Perry and Aria. I always like this quality in books because it gives us readers a chance to see and understand things the way more than just one character does. In Under the Never Sky, this is very helpful with helping us understand the opinions and feelings of the characters. Oh, the feelings. Especially the feelings. The emotion in this book was probably as close to perfect as any book may ever get. The only book I can think of that may be even with this is Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. Actually this whole book may be a piece of tabgible perfection. Not that I would know, but it's a guess.

Character rundown: Aria. I LOVED Aria. She was strong and confident, but not in a snobby way. She had an open mind and faced her problems head-on. She wasn't afraid to share how she felt and dealt with these feelings in her own ways. Aria is probably my favorite female lead in a book this year. Perry - OH PERRY. I adore Perry. He is gentle yet fierce. He is dangerous yet caring. He is shy yet open. He is just pure amazing. Again, quite possibly my favorite male lead I've read about this year.

The ending. Oh, the ending. It certainly led us in the direction of the next book (Through the Ever Night). And this book ended too soon, in my opinion - but I always say that. This is one of those instances where I say this, but it can't really hold merit because it ended at the right time. I really think so, though I wish I were to have access to the next book RIGHT NOW. Also, as far as the ending goes, it did not disappoint me in the slightest. I thought it would end on a disappointing note, considering where the story was going at the time, but I was perfectly content at the end. And now I'm ready to read more of Perry and Aria's story! AHHH!

I've heard from a couple of people that this book was the best book they have read in 2012 so far. Now that I've finally read it, I have to say I think I agree. And again I say: the only book either even with Under the Never Sky, or - at the very least - remotely close, was Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. So I'll take this moment to say YOU WERE RIGHT, ANNA!

Another quick note: the title of this post "A World of Nevers" comes from a quote in the book. "A world of nevers under a never sky." I really realy really really liked this quote. Whenever anyone would ask me what this book was about, I'd reply that I was reading a book about "a world of nevers under a never sky." My point here - this quote was one of my favorites, if not my one and only favorite. It's so beautiful to me. Also, this book was one of those that I actually understood the title! You knwo those books with titles that seem to come out of nowhere? Well this title actually makes perfect sense! I was so happy and proud of myself when the understanding struck me. A gorgeous title for a gorgeous book.

Okay, I'll stop talking now. . .
Thank y'all for reading my review, and be sure to stop by my blog again tomorrow to see what wonderful, wonderful books I got this week!

Stay safe until next post, Friends!

♥Jessica(:

8 comments:

  1. i agree whole heartily
    i loved how i understood the title when reading it
    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I HAVE to read this book. I've been avoiding it for no apparent reason, but you've swayed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoided it too! Everyone said great things about it, but I was ever the skeptic. Then I read it and it was SO much better than I ever thought it could be. I think you'll really like it and I'm glad I influenced you to read it!

      ♥Jessica(:

      Delete
  3. Totes agree!!! I told you this book was amazeballs, and veronica Rossi is soooo nice!!! I can't wait to read the next one :D awesome review lady pants!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica is SO nice! I am super excited for the next book! I love the title of that one, too. THROUGH THE EVER NIGHT. There's just a ring to it . . . a perfect companion to UNDER THE NEVER SKY.
      Thank you, Anna!!

      ♥Jessica(:

      Delete
  4. It's so weird I actually brought this book.. but just never got round to reading it.. But I guess now I'll have to read it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review.. i really liked this book and 2nd one even more:)i think perry and aria are my new fav couple:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!