Saturday, May 5, 2012

Yes, Girls Play Football, Too ;)


Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
Release Date: Already released! (December 1, 2011)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Format: Paperback, 281 pages
Source: Bought

Blurb from Goodreads:

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.              




This book made me so happy. There was so much more to it than I thought there would be before I started reading it. Looking at the description, this book seems to be just a book about a girl who plays football and then gets confused when she falls for a teammate. This book is so, so much more.

The relationships in this book are riveting. The team, how well linked and familiar they are with each other, made me smile so many times. I love it when people have bonds like that. And, speaking of bonds, the friendship between Jordan, Carter, Henry, and JJ was one of those that made me wish I could be included. They've got each others' backs when it comes down to it, and nothing can really change that. Narrowing it down a bit, the relationship between Jordan and Henry was so obvious, yet so unique. I'll talk more about this later, though. I'll talk about Jordan's relationship with Ty then, too.

But first, Jordan's relationship with her dad. What I truly loved about this is that it added more depth to the story. It added a conflict, but not a desperate one. You know those random problems that are sometimes thrown into stories just to add something? This is not one of them. It is genuine and rational and made this story that much more interesting to read. I loved watching their relationship evolve throughout the book. That kind of thing makes my heart melt.

Character Rundown time! Jordan. Believe it or not, I REALLY liked Jordan. She has guts that I know I wish I had. And she's confident, but not in a witch-with-a-b kind of way. More of in a . . . quarterback way. Yes, this makes perfect sense. She knows where she stands and doesn't let anyone or anything change that. I was proud of Jordan's arc in this book. Her mind became wider and she dealed with her problems in a way that didn't make me want to slap somebody, which is always a good sign.

Ty. Oh, Ty. He started off as the super amazing gorgeous guy I was kind of happy Jordan had. But then he changed. We learned more about him, saw different sides of him. It's nothing too dramatic, but still - neediness can only last for so long. Now, Henry - OH HENRY. I was on Henry's side from the very beginning. It was sort of obvious what would happen between him and Jordan, but there were certain aspects of this . . . revelation that threw me for a loop, so it wasn't over-predictable. I adore Henry. (I seriously love the word "adore.") He is just . . . I can't even find words to describe him. Sweet, maybe. But that barely skims the surface of his amazingness. Certainly attractive, but then again - I would expect nothing less ;)

My point: definitely some characters worth reading about. Oh, and JJ, too. He had me laughing so much. And Carter. I think I should have saved the word "sweet" for him. I think the word was INVENTED for him. So much love here.

The ending. Such an open ending. And I don't mean that in a way that left me wanting. I mean that in the sense that the end of this book felt free. Yes, FREE. If you don't understand what I mean, just know that this is a good thing and get your hands on this book and read it!

All in all, I am immensely glad I chose to buy this book (along with Divergent) with my Easter money. Catching Jordan was worth all $8.99 + tax. I reccommend this book to any girl who wants to read about a confident female lead who can actually stand up for herself. And to anyone who wants to read a super-amazing contemporary that is NOT just the same-old story of boy-meets-girl, they fall in love. So much more to this book. AH, I love it!

Thank you for reading my review, and be sure to check out my other ones and visit again to see more!

Until next post, Friends!

♥Jessica(:

2 comments:

  1. OMG I can't wait to read it! *_* I think I'm gonna love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the review..i will put on my TBR list...
    girls play football are absolutey cool!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!