Sunday, November 18, 2012

Review: Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout♥

Deity (Covenant, #3)

Deity by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: November 6, 2012
Format: ARC, 360 pages
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Series: Covenant #3
Source: Won from Jen! Again--thank you so much!

Description from Goodreads:
"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "


Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...


I finished this book this morning (Sunday) and I'm STILL trying to put into words how...magnificent this book was. Words seriously cannot do this book justice. But I'm going to try. First of all, this book has wiggled its way into my top 10 favorite book of 2012. And I've read a lot of books in 2012. So that definitely counts for something.

Deity jumps right in where Pure left off. So from the beginning it was obvious that this book was going to be intense. And, my goodness, it WAS. So many wonderful, wonderful things happen, along with super ugly things. Ugly things as in negative things, not things that brought the story down. This story was pure amazing from the first page to the last. I LOVED IT SO MUCH. I swear, words cannot describe. I'm going to try to use gifs to show my feelings:

It's kind of like this
 
Mixed with some of this,
 
This,
 
And this,
 
And ending with a whole bunch of this

Kind of. I'm not even sure that all expresses the amazing-ness of this book. But if I were to use more gifs, that'd probably be too much, right? Just know this: this book was so amazing, the word amazing doesn't even cover it.

Character Rundown:
Alex: I haven't liked her much in the first two books, but I don't know...in this book I started to feel better towards her. Until the ending. But we'll get to THAT later. Alex is the same fierce, badass chick she's always been. As always, I loved her narration. She makes me laugh.

Seth: I'm doing Seth first this time. Remember how I was always on Seth's team? How I love him so much and stuff? Well, I still love him and believe in him, but...I'm not on his team anymore. This guy...he just hurts me. He changes so much in this book, and I don't like it at all. Plus, he acted so suspicious all the time. Loving him was seriously like this for me:
Yeah. It hurt. So let this be known: I am Team Aiden BUT I have hope for Seth. I do not believe he will remain the way he is forever. I believe in my boy, even though I want Alex to be with Aiden.

Aiden: I've always known this guy was sweet. But THIS GUY. He's officially got me swooning. He is so sweet! I want him to be happy and ohmygosh, I want him to have everything. He has seriously won me over. He has me like this:
SO MUCH SWOONING. How much he cares really shows so much more in this book, and Aiden really buries himself in your heart. Or at least he did in mine. He's...he's just the sweetest. I'm gushing, I know, but I can't help myself.

Leon: Leon has worked his way up to one of my favorite characters. There were few, if any, scenes that he was in that didn't make me laugh. *sigh* Leon...*cough*...Leon just makes me giggle. Yeah. Leon does. Leon.

Other characters: Caleb! I'm going to assume you read Pure if you're reading this review...I miss Caleb so much. I have to say--he still is and will always be my sweetheart. Marcus, I like this guy. He cares, he really does. Lucian, I DO NOT LIKE THIS GUY AT ALL. I wish he'd just go away. Forever. I never want to read his name again. But goodness knows I will... Deacon! I adore this boy.

The plot. I have no coherent way of describing this to you. But I'll give you this--what I was like as I read this beautiful story:
I hope that gives you an idea. And I'll cool it with the gifs. Because I know I've been using a lot. Hehe.
 
Relationships. Seth & Alex: I still think they could have a great relationship if they both actually tried, but I don't hope for this anymore. Seth has ruined it for me. I admire Alex for not giving up on Seth, though. She SHOULD try to help him. Aiden & Alex: They are the absolute sweetest couple, and I'm rooting for them. That is all.
 
The ending. OHMYFLIPPINGGOODNESS. I think...I think I need a gif for this. Just one!
Yeah. The ending is kind of killer. And cliffhanger-y. BUT if you read the novella, Elixir right after, it is true that some of the pain is eased. I just sat my booty down and read it today--it's really short--and I feel better about living life until I get Apollyon. So that's a good thing. I'm still dying, but not as brutally.
 
Overall, this book was so completely great I can't even tell you. You just need to go get this book and read it yourself. Seriously. When have I ever overloaded a review with gifs like this? NEVER. This is some serious chiz. READ THIS BOOK IF YOU LIKE EPIC THINGS. Okay? Okay.
 
**As always, thanks to Perez for the gifs. They really amuse me, even though I used WAY too many.**
 
♥Jessica(:


6 comments:

  1. The cliffhanger. I KNOW RIGHT? Agh. STILL brooding over that one. And I can't wait to get my hands on Elixir. Just a few... more.. days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can download it for free on the Spencer Hill website! That's what I did. I couldn't wait, lol.

      ♥Jessica(:

      Delete
  2. Jessica this was way too funny! I loved it! Can't wait to see you in Houston!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! & *squee!* I seriously can't wait for Houston. I. Am. So. Pumped. ;)

      ♥Jessica(:

      Delete
  3. lol i love this review i love all thoes gif's where do you get them from.. soo funny. you had me smiling all the way through. i just bought deity, can't wait to read it!

    Katie @ INkk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!