Thursday, November 15, 2012

Review: Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson

Valkyrie Rising

Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson
Release Date: October 9, 2012
Format: ARC, 352 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Won from Tera Lynn Childs!

Description from Goodreads:
Nothing ever happens in Norway. But at least Ellie knows what to expect when she visits her grandmother: a tranquil fishing village and long, slow summer days. And maybe she’ll finally get out from under the shadow of her way-too-perfect big brother, Graham, while she’s there.

What Ellie doesn’t anticipate is Graham’s infuriating best friend, Tuck, tagging along for the trip. Nor did she imagine boys going missing amid rumors of impossible kidnappings. Least of all does she expect something powerful and ancient to awaken in her and that strange whispers would urge Ellie to claim her place among mythological warriors. Instead of peace and quiet, there’s suddenly a lot for a girl from L.A. to handle on a summer sojourn in Norway! And when Graham vanishes, it’s up to Ellie—and the ever-sarcastic, if undeniably alluring Tuck—to uncover the truth about all the disappearances and thwart the nefarious plan behind them.

Deadly legends, hidden identities, and tentative romance swirl together in one girl’s unexpectedly-epic coming of age.


I've heard so much praise about this book--the most prominent to me being from Anna from Literary Exploration, of course--so I was super excited when I got this book. Seriously, it messed up my to-read stack because I could NOT wait to start this. Which is okay because this book? EPIC.

This book is so different from others I've read. I am a huge fan of Greek mythology, which I'm sure I've mentioned before, but I haven't really paid much attention to Norse mythology. But now, thanks to Valkyrie Rising, guess who is officially VERY interested?

ME.

Yeah, me. It was awesome to read about the Valkyries and Ellie figuring out what she should do, and how she would get her brother back. Plus, we also have Tuck thrown in, which added so much more awesome sauce to this whole wonderful story.

Character Rundown:
Ellie: This girl is fierce. She knows what's up and she can kick some booty when she has to. Or she can take a hit, too. Either way, fierce is the perfect word for her.

Tuck: OHMYGOSH I LOVE THIS BOY. You want to laugh? Go find Tuck. This guy is great. He's hilarious, gorgeous, and so completely swoon-worthy. He does have a little...let's just say a little trick up his sleeve, but that makes him all the more adorable.

Graham: Hello, good big brother. I love reading about big brothers like this; it's so sweet! He does have to learn how to listen to Ellie, but still. This boy is a sweetheart.

Other characters: Grandmother...badass in disguise. Kjell. It looked like this guy could be a third point in a love triangle for a while, but don't let that fool you. How could anyone compete with Tuck? Astrid, she's just a badass. There is no disguising it. And Loki...hehe.

The plot. This was one of those books I loathed putting down to do things I NEEDED to do, like sleep or eat or something. I was literally consumed by this book. And goodness...I was surprised in some parts. Yay for not being totally predictable! Something worth saying: this book is not a bunch of info-dumps. Just so you know. The mythology that ties in with the story is given to us with good timing.

Relationships. Two relationships in particular: Ellie & Tuck and Ellie & Graham. Let's start with Tuck because I love that boy. Ellie and Tuck don't haev the run-of-the-mill relationship. It started out as something that would never ever happen, and grew until it was something that would be silly NOT to happen. I enjoyed very much watching this shift between them. It was so precious. And Tuck was amazing, too. Now, Ellie and Graham. Graham is so protective. At the beginning, a little TOO protecive, even. It was nice to watch their relationship change to become more open and les of something Ellie wishes she could change. Plus, I adore Graham. As I said, he's a sweeteheart.

The ending. OOOOOO! There's going to be a sequel, right? Becasue if not, I think I'm going to cry.

Overall, I loved Valkyrie Rising! If you're looking for something epic to read, go pick this one up right now!

♥Jessica(:

2 comments:

  1. Yay! This one has been on my TBR pile for such a long time and everyone's reading it. I have the copy, but I've yet to see a review thats so gushy about it so thank you! I can now dive into this piece of reading in peace and see what I think of it :D Loved your thoughts and I'm always about a brother protecting his sister. That's what brothers are for right? Thank you for your thoughts and have a lovely day, Jessica! :)

    Siiri @ Little Pieces of Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about how amazing Norse mythology is. I've read several books already were the Norse gods play an important role and of course watched Thor (and not only for Chris Hemsworth ;) ). If you want I could suggest some books for you ^^

    As a huge fan of (Norse) mythology I was anticipating this book very much. But that faded away when I started reading. I haven't finished it yet, but I don't feel the same epicness. My feelings are more towards annoyance. While Ellie is fierce, she also acts before she thinks. Which results in situations that easily could have been prevented. And every time the book finally grabbed my attention, it also let go soon after. But I'm only halfway into the book, so maybe my feelings will change. Your enthusiastic review might help me regain my love for the story and the hope that It will change for the good ^^

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!