Friday, November 16, 2012

Review: Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout♥

Pure (Covenant, #2)

Pure by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Format: ARC, 329 pages
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Series: Covenant #2
Source: Won from Jen! Thank you somuch, Jen!!

Description from Goodreads:
There is need. And then there is Fate
Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.
When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude or killing her.
When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


I started reading Pure sometime around the moment I finished Half-Blood. So I was completely in the right mind set to continue on to book 2. And, um...THIS BOOK WAS GREAT. Just so you know now.

So much happens in this book. It starts off with things that make me happy, and builds up into a big story that I love. This book is funny, it is sad, it is wonderful, it is exciting, it is many, many great things. It truly is.

Character Rundown:
Alex: I feel about the same towards Alex as I did in Half-Blood. I like Alex, I really do, but sometimes she deserves to be slapped. Or punched. Whatever makes her NOT do what I'd rather she NOT do. Other than that, though, she's still kickass and tough, and I love that.

Aiden: Oh, yes, Aiden. Look who's trying to prove his worth to me! I do admit, I liked him somewhat better in this book, though he still does not win for me. He keeps proving that he's a really good guy, however, and that can't be a bad thing. I'm excited to see what happens with him...

Seth: Ah, my boy Seth. MY BOY SETH. In this book, he really took being my boy to a whole new level. He is his usual cocky self, but he's also funny and interesting. Yet he still remains so mysterious. The mystery that is Seth may backfire on me later, but I'm enjoying it now. And he loves to cuddle! That was so cute. Hehe. Cuddle bunny. ;)

Other characters: Caleb, the #1 other character for me. Um, yeah. He's still his sweetheart self. He will ALWAYS be my sweetheart. And that's all I'm going to say about him, for I am at risk of saying too much and ruining things. Just remember: no matter what, he's my sweetheart. Leon, he is one cool dude. With impecable timing, I may add. He's my second favorite non-central character, second only to Caleb, of course.

The plot. IT WAS EXCITING. And it kept me wanting to read. All the time. During school, while I was eating dinner, everything. I am so serious about this. Do you know how awkward it is to try and hold a gorgeous paperback book like this one and eat cereal at the same time? Long story short, I do not reccommend it. (Don't worry, though--no gorgeous paperback books were harmed in my reading if this novel.)

Relationships! Alex & Aiden. Oh, Aiden. They are good together and all, but there is so much resisting happening here, it picks at me. They have potential, though. Aiden is a really sweet guy. Certainly a good choice for anyone. Seth & Alex. These two are fated. That does NOT mean they're going to end up together. But I am rooting for them. I enjoy reading their interactions so much! They never fail to make me laugh. Or say "Oh, snap!" (I seriously do say this. I'm not making this up.) There is an issue with this, though: Seth makes me so jealous. I mean, the things he does...I feel for Alex. Not that Alex gets all possessive, but still. I get possessive for her, and that hurts me. Not that Aiden makes me feel much better (I'm a selfish person, obviously), but since Seth is MY BOY, it irked me a bit more with him. Just saying. But I adore him anyways.

The ending. HA, guess who's happy she already has Deity and is currently reading the heck out of it so she can remain sane? THIS CHICK. Jen is so great at endings, there are no words. Seriously. No. Words.

Overall, yet another amazing creation by the one and only JLA. She remains securely in her slot as my favorite author, and I see no shift in this status anywhere close to the near future. And if you read Half-Blood and are stalling on reading Pure? DO IT. You need to witness this awesomeness ASAP.

♥Jessica(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!