Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund

For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Format: Hardcover, 402 pages
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Source: Library

Description from Goodreads:
It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.

Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.

But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.

Inspired by Jane Austen's persuasion, "For Darkness Shows the Stars" is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.


I've had my eye on For Darkness Shows the Stars for a while now. I'd seen so many stellar reviews and truly thought I'd enjoy this book. Sadly, I was somewhat disappointed by this book.

I am not saying that I dislike this book. It was actually very well written and has a fascinating premise, which was executed beautifully. My biggest issue with this book was the messed up romance. I haven't read Pursuasion so I assume my issue isn't even the author's fault, but that doesn't change the fact that I was not pleased with it. As far as Jane Austen goes, I've read some of her writing, and some of it I adored while some of it I did not. Apparently Pursuasion would be one of those that I didn't very much like. And that's fine. We all can't like everything, right?

Character Rundown:
Elliot: Funny how I've read two books with girls named Elliot this month. Before now, I've never even heard of a girl named Elliot. I think I like it. Now, THIS Elliot. She's strong-willed, and even just strong in general. I like that. I don't really have any negative feelings toward her. She had her faults, of course, as all of us do, but I see nothing wrong with the things she did, overall. Go, Elliot!

Kai: I don't care what this boy says, I refuse to call him Malakai, even though I love that name. You can't just be Kai forever and then decide one day to be like "I'm not Kai, I'm Malakai." Not cool. I didn't swoon much over him until way too close to the end for my happiness. I don't get this guy at all. He showed something around zero emotion for Elliot until the last 25ish percent of the book. I repeat: not cool. At the end, though, I admit Kai did make me sigh. (hehe)

Other characters: Ro was sweet. That girl got to me. The rest of the characters, too...I didn't have any issues with them, really. They were who they were and I accepted it. Other than Ro, none of them really excited me much.

The plot. Let's ignore the romance for a moment. The plot was amazing. I truly enjoyed reading about Elliot and running the estate and even learning about...about the special project. These aspects of the story were very much enjoyable and are all reasons why you should give this book a try.

And...the romance. There were tiny sweet moments, mostly within the letters between Kai and Elliot that warmed my heart. Not as many as I would have liked, though. And then Kai was full of zero good emotions toward Elliot for too big a chunk of time. I did not like this. There ARE, however, some nice romantic-like things around the end.

The ending. The ending made me smile. You know all the whining I've done so far about the "messed up romance"? Well, there is nothing messed up about this ending.

Overall, though I was somewhat disappointed, I hear there's going to be a sequel and I do plan on reading it. Diana Peterfreund is clearly a brilliant writer and I'd love to read more from her. Don't give up on this book just because Kai and Elliot aren't falling over each other throughout the whole thing. There really ARE lots of good things that make up for it within the story, if you give it a chance.

♥Jessica(:

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read it, but I've also seen great reviews so it's suprising that you were kind of disappointed. I think the romance part in this one could be like that because in every Austen book I've read and even in the most famous one, Pride and Prejudice, the love interests have that sparkle in their hearts, but they don't show it until the very last minute. Whereas in our era we would be like, what the heck, dude?! Why didn't you say something then? Well.. If it's inspired from Austen's writing, it definitely cannot be instalove and madly in love throughout the whole book. So.. Maybe that was the reason? Idk. Anyway, lovely review and I will probably give this book a try someday and see for myself what it's all about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I think it's because it's based off of Jane Austen. Sometimes, the Jane Austen approach works for me (like in JANE by April Lindner) and sometimes it frustrates me (like here). The rest of the story was spectacular, though. You should most definitely give it a try!

      ♥Jessica(:

      Delete
  2. Just stopping by to say thank you for signing up for the 2013 Standalone Reading Challenge - best of luck to you!

    I haven't read this one yet, but I want to. You are the first I'm hearing that was slightly disappointed by it, I hope you enjoy the sequel more.

    Best Wishes,
    Birtta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited about the challege--I'm actually taking this one seriously and everything!

      And I was surprised I didn't like it all that much, either. I hadn't really heard many negative things about it. From the ending of this one, I have a feeling I really will like the sequel, so that's a good. Thank you so much!

      ♥Jessica(:

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! Comments make my day. I do read all the comments you post and try to reply if I can. If you leave a link, I will most definitely check it out! If you specifically ask a question, please check back for my reply!

As of October 2012, Just a Booklover is an award-free blog. I appreciate it so much that you want to award me with something, though!